Au Pair Experiences

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Au Pair Experiences

Post  Cecilie.kjer on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 6:36 am

Hi everybody
I would like to hear some of your experiences with being an au pair. Where are you an au pair? How do you like your family? Are the kids nice? Do you speak the language of your host family? Etc etc. I hope to hear from you.

I write some of my experiences in a blog which you can find here:
http://cecilieitalien.blogspot.com/

Cecilie - danish girl in Italy
Cecilie.kjer
Au Pair Newbie
Au Pair Newbie

Female
Number of posts : 1
Country,City : Denmark
Job : Au pair
Nationality : Danish
Registration date : 2010-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Au Pair Experiences

Post  Chillinmonkey on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 5:33 am

Cecilie.kjer wrote:Hi everybody
I would like to hear some of your experiences with being an au pair. Where are you an au pair? How do you like your family? Are the kids nice? Do you speak the language of your host family? Etc etc. I hope to hear from you.

I write some of my experiences in a blog which you can find here:
http://cecilieitalien.blogspot.com/

Cecilie - danish girl in Italy

Hej!
Im a swedish au pair in south of France. I've been working as an au pair for 4 weeks now.
They family is french and speak french, but the parents speaks pretty often in english with me, but the kids speaks only french.
That is good because then I will learn french faster, but it's also really hard work when you try to communicate with the kids and we don't understand each other.
Until recently the youngest child (five year old boy) didn't respect me. He didn't whan't to speak, play or even be in the same room as me. He thought it was no use to try to like me because we would never understand each other. BUT he has now started to hug me, play and speak with me. I don't know why he changed his mind, but I love it!
These first weeks are really really hard!! I miss my family and my friends really really much! But I try to not think of it.
Here in south of France many people don't speak english so it's hard for me to communicate with others (sometimes it feels that the one im speaking with prefere to not speak with me because I speak so slowly and searching for words all the time).
I have made some friends and that helps me alot, being with other people in my age. I think that when I have more friends and can speak the language better I will like it more here.
The way of raising the children is a little bit diffrent from what im used to, people who whant's to be an au pair should be aware of the diffrentcy in the cultures before they go!
I was that before I left Sweden but it still is hard, for example, they scream to the children alot here!

Btw, the children I'm taking care of are 5(boy), 8(girl) and 10(girl). And I'm 19 years old.
I also have a blog and I write in english:
frson.blogg.se

Chillinmonkey
Au Pair Newbie
Au Pair Newbie

Female
Number of posts : 4
Country,City : France, Aniane
Job : Au pair
Nationality : Swedish
Registration date : 2010-12-09

View user profile http://frson.blogg.se

Back to top Go down

Re: Au Pair Experiences

Post  bryr on Tue 08 Mar 2011, 6:01 am

I started my 'au pair career' on a tiny island north of Iceland, on the Arctic circle at a Filipino-Icelandic family and it was great. I spent three months there and then went to the Netherlands where I stayed for five months. I have recently started a blog where I write about my experience as an au pair and a traveller, for example I hitchhiked around Europe last summer, can't wait until the weather gets warm enough to do it again! If you have similar intrests you might find it helpful/interesting.
The link: http://bryr.blogspot.com/ Smile
bryr
Au Pair Newbie
Au Pair Newbie

Female
Number of posts : 1
Country,City : Viljandi
Job : Student
Nationality : EE
Registration date : 2011-03-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down