scared of the aupair experience.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

scared of the aupair experience.

Post  dtookadtaa on Fri 08 Feb 2008, 10:04 pm

Hi everyone !

I have only recently discovered this aupair and nanny experience. From reading some of the topics on this forum i'm abit scared of what to expect and what to be careful of. Can you please tell me how to avoid scams and how you found the right family for you ?

Thanks heaps Smile

xx.
dtookadtaa
Au Pair Newbie
Au Pair Newbie

Female
Number of posts : 1
Country,City : Australia,Sydney
Nationality : Lao,Australian
Registration date : 2008-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Experience

Post  Ales on Tue 19 Feb 2008, 1:56 am

Hi,
I think the most people in discussions write rather about bad experiences. If you`re unhappy you need to have a moan about it. Nobody of my friends here has problems... The worst is the first week, maybe two, because the children try find your barrier Smile. The easiest way is to try it. And if anything wrong you can go back home at anytime...
Good luck!

Ales
Ales
Au Pair Newbie
Au Pair Newbie

Male
Number of posts : 9
Country,City : Abbots Langley
Job : au-pair
Nationality : czech
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: scared of the aupair experience.

Post  lissy87 on Tue 19 Feb 2008, 11:41 am

Hi! I think Ales is right! I'm not an aupair yet but will be in June, I am also scared, but you know what? every person is different and will respond to situations in different ways likewise all families are unique. I think its good to get advise from people on here but bare in mind that you are not them and may not experience au pairing the same way as they do. Be positive about the whole thing, get excited! Thats what i plan to do! xx
lissy87
Au Pair Intermediate
Au Pair Intermediate

Female
Number of posts : 26
Country,City : England
Job : Student teacher
Nationality : British
Registration date : 2008-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Scared - You'll Be Fine

Post  11Isis11 on Fri 28 Mar 2008, 4:53 pm

Ahhh the first au pair experience. I went to London for the first time last October and everything started out alright and the...BAM! The mother went crazy jealous would yell and scream at me and literally tried to kick me out on the street. Luckily I was able to contact my mother and we were able to get me a last minute flight out of the country before I ended up lonely on the cold London streets. But guess what? I'M DOING IT AGAIN! Up until the end when she went crazy it was amazing, the children were beautiful, the counrty was beautiful, I made amazing friends and I was able to do something that I always wanted to do. Alright, so bad things can happen but it is very rare, most families are really great which is why I am not afraid to try again, just make sure that you go prepared. Purchase an open ended round trip ticket just in case you do need to get out of there really quickly and keep a good head on your shoulders. There is nothing that I can think of that will give you such an amazing experience and it is ALWAYS worth it, the good times and the bad.
11Isis11
Au Pair Newbie
Au Pair Newbie

Female
Number of posts : 1
Country,City : Canada,Kamloops
Job : Au Pair/Nanny
Nationality : Canandian
Registration date : 2008-03-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat 04 Oct 2008, 11:41 am

Hello,

Even though it might sound scarying to do aupairing after reading all those posts you still should do it. It's just that most people post messages when they need advice. Some families are horrible but other are nice. I've been living with 4 families and one of them was really lovely. I'm not working for them any more but they're inviting me to their place and I go out clubbing with the mum.

I think a lot of first time au pairs experience some problems and come across horrible families so you realy need to have courage to speak out for yourself and ask your rights to be respected.

Let me know if you're thinking about looking for a family in London and I can give you very specific indicators which families are potentially nice and which ones abusive.

Take care and feel welcome!

xx

Back to top Go down

Post  Ama on Thu 30 Oct 2008, 11:37 am

Please don't be afraid!!
My current au pair position is just wonderful!!
A good tip about how to choose your family is to ask for previous au pair/nanny contacts (just as they would ask you to provide references).
You can then get in touch with a person who knows the family and the kids very well and will be able to answer any question you might not dare asking the family... Wink
Good luck
Amandine xxx
Ama

Female
Number of posts : 408
Country,City : London
Job : au pair
Nationality : French
Registration date : 2007-07-02

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/tanukifantasy

Back to top Go down